Helping Good People Find Great Solutions

An Orange County Family Law Blog

A blog dedicated to issues a divorcing couple faces.

Judgment for Legal Separation Cannot be Amended to a Divorce

If spouses separate and file for legal separation, a judgement for legal separation can be entered. As long as a judgment for legal separation has not been entered, a petition for legal separation can be changed to a divorce. However, once a judgment has been entered, it cannot be amended. A new petition for divorce must be filed and another filing fee must be paid.

If you need a divorce lawyer in the Orange County area to discuss a family law matter such as a legal separation, premarital agreement, child support, spousal support, custody, transmutation, or property division, contact Treviño Law, Inc. Conveniently located off of the 5 and 405 freeway at Lake Forest.

Please note that the posting of this family law blog is informational only. Specific circumstances and laws may determine the outcome of your particular situation and it is important to contact an attorney to analyze your situation. 

Please note that this legal advice does not establish a family law attorney-client relationship. This is a legal advertisement for Treviño Law, Inc, an Orange County family law firm